Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Building Code

I interrupt coverage of last week's Board meeting to bring you some thoughts on building/zoning codes.

Thursday the planning board will be interviewing candidates for consulting on the zoning ordinance revision process. One of the proposals received included a suggestion that board and committee members take pictures of examples of good and bad examples development in Dryden. That firm has not been invited to interview, but I like the suggestion. So, watch this space for photos reflecting my perspective. If you have photos to add, feel free to send them to me or create links in the comments section of this post.



Aside from my personal preference for undeveloped land, it seems to me that this view from the highest point in the town is indicative of the town's character. This panorama is about 110 degrees. But I could have done 360 degrees with the same result.

One thing I've noticed is that many unattractive areas that could be improved by the addition of some trees. Here, on the corner of Rt 13 and Johnson Road the veterinary office on the northeast corner has no landscaping.

The dentist's office on the northwest corner has made a better effort.



This is my favorite kind of view - note especially no electric wires in view. This is looking north on Ringwood Road.


So you can understand the disappointment when you wind up staring at this while you wait at the stop sign at the bottom of the hill.





And perhaps one of those people who object to the appearance of windmills can tell me what's so lovely about these behemoths. (That second one is on my property .)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone complains about wires and cell phone towers, but I'll bet you wouldn't want to be without electricity or your phone. Life's too short. Enjoy it and stop moaning about useless things.

2:44 PM, May 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm probably better prepared than most people to do without electricity and phones. But that's not the point. I didn't say a thing about phone wires. They're underground. And I have no particular objection to wireless towers. But if I have to have these powerlines on my property for the public good, why shouldn't I have one - just one, just a bit taller - for my own use?

11:05 AM, May 16, 2007  
Blogger KAZ said...

I've said it before--if you want an example of affordable housing that should absolutely NOT be allowed by our zoning code, take a drive up Irish Settlement toward Midline and look to the left as you're coming to Goodband. Plywood shacks that share septics and wells are not what I want to see in Dryden--anywhere.

9:16 AM, May 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home